Studies show that investing in a quality local marketing strategy is one of the most effective business growth strategies around. For example, a 2016 survey found that that most people searching the web on their phones are looking for something local. This study determined that about 50% of people go to the store or business they searched for within a day of that search and that 60% of people have made use of the information they found on local online ads and on a business’s website.
With figures like this, it makes sense for business owners to develop and implement a strong local marketing strategy. There are lots of local marketing techniques, but which ones are the most effective? Here are ten of the best local marketing strategies you might try.
- Make your business a destination: One way to bring prospective customers in the door is to host an event where people can experience your product or service in the most memorable way. This is a local marketing strategy that allows to meet potential customers in person and introduce them to the benefits your business offers.
- Reach out to local media to introduce yourself: Make yourself into a resource person for local media. This is easier if you are running a business with specialized products or services. If not, reach out to journalists or reviewers and offer them your product or service for free in return for an honest review.
- Have yourself listed in local business directories: Even though the “Internet is king,” if you want to have a strong local marketing strategy, make sure you are listed in all local print directories. But of course, make sure you are listed online too. Correct any wrong information, especially the description of your product or service and your contact information. Keep the information updated so you don’t annoy potential customers.
- Be a generous sponsor to local events: A great way to be known locally and boost your local marketing success is to sponsor events in your community. For instance, if you are a sports store, then sponsoring a sports event like a local hockey league or 3-on-3 basketball is a great way to get your brand out there.
- Ask your customers to give you a testimonial: Word of mouth is one of the most effective local marketing strategies around. Boosting your word of mouth business volume can be as easy as sending them a thank you letter or a letter of appreciation. You can also ask them politely to give you feedback of any kind. Never force the issue. Just give them a gentle nudge by asking for an honest review.
- Bolster or build your referral program by making it into a promo: Referral programs can be a great tool for boosting local marketing strategy success. For example, give a 5% discount for your product or service if your customer refers a friend or two before their next purchase. Other than that, you can give referral bonus points that can accumulate and customers can use it to purchase more from you.
- Join like-minded individuals to grow your business circle: There are conventions for gamers like the Penny Arcade Expo or the Retro Gamers Expo. There certainly are conventions, expos or events relating to your type of business no matter what it is. An effective local marketing strategy is to establish a presence at these conventions and events to meet people of the same mind. You might be surprised at how this kind of participation can add a new dimension to your local marketing strategies.
- Use social media properly: Building a relationship with people near you is another key element of an effective local marketing strategy. But don’t just target anyone—be sure to connect with people who would be interested in and benefit from, your product or service. You should target local in Facebook or Instagram. If you don’t, you may be wasting your time. Facebook is really great at targeting hyperlocal people and businesses using their datasets. Take advantage of this tool in building your local marketing strategy.
- Promote your business along other businesses: You can have a deal with the local laundry shop to promote your clothing store. It can also be as easy as tying up with a local pizza parlor so your people can give out fliers for your business.
- Use the power of the Internet: Most people in your local area today are probably mobile first users. As a result, they most likely Google whatever service or product they want first. Make sure you are listed in Google business directory or other business directories. That said, make sure your information is accurate and regularly updated. Local marketing strategies cannot be successful if your information is not up-to-date.
There you have ten local marketing strategies to help grow your business. Though you may have national or even international inspirations, one of the best ways to grow your business is to start locally.