National Earth Day, commemorated every April 22, is an annual celebration to increase public awareness on the need to protect Mother Earth. There are now more than 193 countries which take part in this global event every year. This post celebrates the growing number of green startups finding success in a competitive world.
Public awareness about various environmental issues has improved in the last decade. This can be seen in the growing number of green entrepreneurs who have started eco-friendly businesses and green startups. Here are just a few:
- Chai Energy: This mobile app helps users to manage their energy consumption. Chai Energy says it can help users lower their utility bills by up to 20 percent. The app shows the current and past energy consumption of a user, displayed not only in average watts but also in dollars. Users, thus, would have a better understanding of how much their energy consumption is costing them every day. Moreover, the app sends real-time tips to users. It can tell users how much a particular appliance is costing them, and how much money they may be able to save if they upgraded to a more energy efficient appliance.
- Farmers Business Network: Farmers Business Network provides data to farmers so they can collaborate with other growers or simply improve monitor their crops. Farmers pay a membership fee of $600 so they can upload, store, analyze, and compare data anonymously about everything that affects them. These range from soils, seeds, the costs of fertilizers, weather, among others. Farmers Business Network calls their platform as the new way for farmers to share information and learn from each other. The firm has also been able to raise $20 million in new venture funding.
- Holganix: Based in Glen Mills, PA, the company produces environment-friendly lawn care products. These products help in balancing the ecosystem of the soil, building stronger roots and growing healthier plants. Holganix products minimize the need for pesticide and fertilizer inputs. It recently announced the launch of its newest product, the Holganix 2-10-20 fertilizer, which contains biological food sources. The said fertilizer can promote growth of healthy roots, improve water and nutrient sufficiency, and promote plant tissue development.
- Sistine Solar: The company installs aesthetically pleasing solar panels that can encourage even the most reluctant homeowner to invest in solar energy. Homeowners who have homes with Spanish tile roofs, for example, would be enticed to have their roofs covered with beautifully designed solar panels. Sistine Solar was the recipient of a $1 million grant from the Department of Energy’s Sunshot Initiative. Aside from helping homeowners save on their electricity bills, Sistine Solar can also make a house with a solar system fetch a higher value in the market.
- Skeleton Technologies: The biggest developer and maker of ultracapacitor cells in Europe, Skeleton Technologies has also received nearly $20 million in funding. The Estonian company has been helping clients like the European Space Agency for its power delivery and energy storage. It recently announced a module that can improve the performance of heavy vehicles. With increased global awareness on the need to protect the planet, there’s really no surprise why green startups are making a lot of progress in their respective fields these days.
I have helped green businesses at every stage of development to secure tens of millions in funding. Contact me today to find out how I can help your green startup secure the funding it needs to launch, grow and thrive.